Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A Dead Man Saving Lives...

A hero as defined by the dictionary is "1. a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities. 2. a person who, in the opinion of others, has heroic qualities or has performed a heroic act and is regarded as a model or ideal. 3. the principal male character in a story, play or film."  The man I am about to speak of was all of these.  Most importantly is to know is that he was a hero on and before September 10th, 2001.  His job made him a hero, his heart made him a hero, his wife allowed him to be a hero, his mom worried about her hero son.  He was a hero because his life choice was to save people.  He is a fire fighter.  The most respected job in America.  All of them are heroes, all of them sacrifice themselves, for others.  You can see it in the eye of a child when they see a fire fighter, they see a hero.  So Bobby, my friend and family member through marriage (see Merry in earlier blogs) was a hero on and before September 10th, 2001.  What happened, why isn't he a hero any more...because you see, Bobby is now a Super Hero.  Not the kind you see in tights and bright colors (that may be an idea, though, Bobby) Bobby is the kind of Super Hero that God placed on this earth to save people, time and again.  Bobby is one of only a few NYFD brothers to make it out of the disaster we now know as 9.11.  God selected Bobby.  Bobby would never be able to tell you why it is he that is chosen to be here.  Everyone around Bobby could tell you with ease.  I don't know Bobby too well, only have I had the honor to spend time with him on several occasions, but they have all been meaningful.  Most recently on my trip out to NYC did I get to hang out with this Super Hero.  If you were to see Bobby walking down the street, you would think typical stud New Yorker.  He never draws attention toward himself.  That is a true Super Hero, not one that parades around barking orders, one that is a humble, strong man who seeks not the judging or approval of others, but just sets out to help others. During my visit to NYC,  I was able to hear him tell stories.  How he was able to get out of the WTC, and how God has put him to use, saving more lives, now even without a fire hose in his hands.  Bobby saves the lives of 9.11 victims even today.  He is here with a purpose to share his story.  To talk with survivors, to help them through.  He is an amazing man.  Should he be dead?  If you ask Bobby, he'd likely explain that he can't believe he isn't.  If you ask me, I'd say, No, God has bigger work for him here on earth.  If God were to answer that question, I believe He would say, I was with Bobby that day, he has some more work to do for me here on earth.  Bobby has made an amazing impact on the lives of those he has touched. I am sure the duration of his life he will touch so many more people and save so many more lives.  Bobby, thank you for serving, thank you for saving lives.  Thank you for listening to God and getting yourself out of there when you did.  God needs you to continue saving lives.  You are not a hero, you are a Super Hero.

Bobby has an assignment for all of us, call those you love and tell them.  Everyday starts out the same for everyone, but doesn't end the same for everyone.  Make sure everyone you love, knows you love them.
Read a speech that Bobby just recently gave in Redondo Beach last week. 
http://www.easyreadernews.com/story.php?StoryID=20034144

2 comments:

bailey said...

Hello, I came across your blog through trulyengaging.com and then through your website. I am planning my wedding, but stumbled across your entry about Bobby the firefighter. Praise God he is still with his family and I just want to thank you for giving God the glory for saving this man's life. God is being shoved out of our country and then blamed for everything that goes wrong, but we see in things like Bobby's safety despite 9-11 that God is still in control. Thank you. And your pictures are wonderful..I am also an aspiring wedding photographer so I will be taking notes from your beautiful work and your creative website!!!
-bailey-

Unknown said...

Thank you Bailey!
I agree with what you are saying that the collective "we" are doing with God. Taking Him out of school, government, our society. I hear those people asking where was God on 9.11 or when this or that happened. The funny thing is that the people who ask the question "Where was God when..." are the same people who say "no" to prayer in schools or representation of God in Government, etc. He was and is with the survivors. The one certainty in life is death...it is what we do with the life God has granted us before our time is up that is vital. I find it hard to continue to blame God for the continuing evil in this world. I think if the collective "we" stops pointing fingers and starts living the life they want to see around them. Our world would be an amazing place to live. Like Mahmatma Ghandi said best "Be the change you want to see in the world."
Bailey I wish the best to your in your photography aspirations, my mantra is "set your eyes on it, and go for it, no need to stop and ponder, learn, fail, learn." Congrats on your engagement, and let me know if you need a photographer! :O)
Best Wishes and thanks for visiting my site! God Bless!